Richard Forbes - Energy Components Support Analyst
Robert Gordon University
Bsc Information Systems Technology 2012
What was it about CGI that made you apply?
I applied to CGI because a colleague of mine from University already worked for them. He told me what a wonderful company they were to work for. Initially I was reluctant to apply because, at that time, mostly all interviews were conducted in London. I went to a careers fair in Aberdeen where CGI representatives were present. I made enquiries but emphasised my reservations about travelling to London for an interview. I was told that they were planning to hold interviews in Aberdeen in the near future. I expressed my wish to attend one of these sessions, this took place, and I started working for CGI in July 2011.
What does your current role involve?
For the past two years, I have been working client-side in the Oil and Gas industry. During this time, I have been supporting a Hydrocarbon Accounting suite of applications, primarily Energy Components. This opportunity has allowed me to become an effective and efficient Analyst/Developer; I have developed strong analytical/technical skills and also a good understanding of the business processes in which the applications are used.
My main duties have consisted of:
- Analysing user problems and providing effective resolutions to these issues.
- Application Development - I have developed several VBA spreadsheet applications.
- Mentoring - I have coached new analysts, developing their knowledge and understanding of Energy Components related support activities.
- On Call - providing 24/7 support, one week out of 5, for a business critical system (Energy Components).
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with key business stakeholders and clients.
- Software Testing - I have been involved in the creation and implementation of software test plans.
What is the best thing about your job?
The diversity of skills I have had to learn to be able to carry out my role effectively and efficiently. For example:
SQL and PL/SQL
Energy Components (Tieto)
There is never a dull moment and I love my role because I am being constantly introduced to new things. I am continuously developing both as an individual and a CGI employee.
Where do you see yourself going in the next few years?
Hopefully still working with Energy Components but in a more project orientated role as opposed to support.
If you could offer prospective candidates one piece of advice, what would it be?
Never doubt yourself. When you first start a role, it can be very overwhelming and you will most definitely think, ‘How am I ever going to get to grips with this?’. CGI members are very supportive and there is always help close at hand.