Year Here 2017 Fellowship
Year Here is a full-time postgraduate course in social innovation based in London, designed to cultivate entrepreneurial approaches to entrenched social problems.
Over 10 months, our Fellows learn from, and design with, people at the frontline of inequality – in care homes, hostels and youth services across London.
Inequality won't fix itself
Supported by a network including The Cabinet Office, Bain & Co, IDEO and Future Gov , if selected you will:
- Serve on the frontline. Your first 5 months will be spent in homeless shelters, care homes and community centres, learning first-hand from the people hit hardest by inequality - and designing innovative measures to boost your placement's impact.
- Build ventures. You’ll build your own projects from the get-go, with opportunities to secure seed investment from O2, UnLtd and The Funding Network and graduate from the programme with a founding team, some office space and your first paying client.
- Learn from expert faculty. You’ll be assigned a personal mentor and receive extensive training from a faculty of more than 60 leaders from across the social sector – people who specialise in fields from entrepreneurship, to policy, and community development.
- Develop a diverse portfolio. From delivering community consultations for local government clients to running 24 hr challenges with your peers, you’ll deliver a broad range of social action projects along the way.
After Year Here
In a year’s time, we expect you to be running your own social enterprise, developing a portfolio career, or working for a fast growing social start-up. Our alumni entrepreneurs join our venture network and are automatically invited to join our follow-on incubator.
3 months after graduating, 46% of our alumni were leading their own social enterprise while 32% were working for another startup. The remainder were working in government, consultancy and frontline roles.
Costs and funding
There are no course fees. Unlike a traditional Master’s degree or postgraduate course, we cover your tuition fee.
We offer packages of accommodation, bursaries and postgraduate loan match funding for those that would otherwise struggle to take part in the course. Travel and lunch expenses are covered throughout.
What we look for
Our Fellows come from all sorts of backgrounds and bring an incredibly diverse set of skills and experiences to the programme. What unites them is their brilliant personal qualities – like resourcefulness, humility and resilience – and their passion for social action.
To be eligible to apply to Year Here, you need to have demonstrable academic achievement and be eligible to work and volunteer in the UK.
How to apply
- Complete our sign up form to check your eligibility, by clicking the apply button.
- Put in an application online, covering your background and motivation.
- If your application is successful, you'll be invited to take part in a video interview.
- If you are successful at video interview stage, you'll be invited for a selection workshop and final interview.
- If you are successful at interview, you will be offered a place on the programme shortly after, conditional on good references.