Project Management Graduate
United Utilities provides water and sewage services to around seven million people in North West England. Behind the scenes that means operating enough miles of pipework and sewers to wrap three times round the planet, investing billions of pounds to improve water and the environment across the North West, while taking care of some of the most scenic and environmentally sensitive countryside in the region. We're embracing new technology, thinking outside the box to improve services for our customers and even harnessing the renewable energy potential of the region's water, waste and weather.
In short, it's our job to bring three million households and 200,000 businesses, clean, clear water and to take their waste water away so our customers can simply get on with their day. You will be part of the Project Delivery team and benefit from the shared knowledge and expertise of working with colleagues across all of the Programme Delivery disciplines whilst also developing your own specialist skills. Responsible for providing technical input on project management through the development of the project life cycle. Once the project is on site, you will be responsible for delivering the construction schedule within the quality and budget constraints of the project and to ensure best practice is followed for health, safety and environmental management techniques.
This role and the supportive environment will provide you with learning and development opportunities that will enable you to realise your potential and develop a career pathway within a major utility company and service organisation. You will initially spend time working on a series of placements that will be designed to challenge and help you get to grips with the breadth of the business and insights into the diverse challenges we face.
As part of your role you will be required to:
- Ensure that project delivery work is completed on time, to scope, and controlling costs and change.
- Ability to prioritise tasks & finite resources to deliver business targets / objectives.
- Develop a high level understanding of the regulatory and legislative framework surrounding the water business and the operation and maintenance of our assets.
- Think strategically to support the future development of our organisation.
- Possess excellent communication and influencing skills across all levels.
- Possess or have the potential to develop strong leadership and financial skills.
- Develop the capacity to lead and motivate teams in order to improve performance and deliver the service levels that customers and regulators require.
Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum 2:1 in any relevant business, construction or engineering related degree.
- You will be motivated, enthusiastic and have the potential to develop excellent leadership, influencing and communications skills.
- You will have good written and interpersonal skills
- You must be an excellent team player, possessing ambition and drive.
- You must have the ability to work across a matrix organisation to deliver desired outcomes.
- You must be able to work in a wide range of roles and different circumstances.
- Project management experience is preferred but not essential.
During the training scheme you will experience project delivery from other perspectives, including engineering design management, contract and commercial management, programme controls and project coordination where you will manage 3rd party relationships and internal and external stakeholders.
The final 12-months of the scheme will be spent as in a substantive role within the delivery environment based on your progression through the scheme, this role may be within project management, programme management or construction management.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an assessment centre to be held on 19th / 23rd January 2017.