Technical Specialist Industrial Placement
We’re looking for two talented individuals to join our Consultancy Practice division for a 12 month placement. This position is suited to Computer Science Degree candidates who are looking to pursue a career in programming/development, and have an interest in using public cloud as the vehicle for deployment.
An interest in web development, and web base application deployment will ensure the candidate is focused on delivery of applications regardless of the location these are hosted, and hence will remove the reliance around thinking about “on-premise” hardware and software solutions.
- Hands on experience of using programming tools and the opportunity to apply your programming/web based skills to real business scenarios
- Be prepared to get stuck in to problems, however provide the “solve this programmatically” approach – No out of the box solutions here!
- Participate in customer engagements and attendance at client meetings
- Assist with transferring knowledge and typical approaches with our Consultants and Architects
- To present your ideas and solutions to a team of Technical Specialists
- Deliver an end of placement project to demonstrate your progression both with using public cloud technology, but also your development of programming skills and application to a real world problem
The ideal candidate
We’re looking for individuals who are on track for at least a 2:1 honours degree, in Computer Science or equivalent, and are in the penultimate year of their degree. The ideal candidate is someone who is enthusiastic, open minded and eager to get stuck in and help come up with solutions.
- Understanding of basic programming concepts (data types, primitives, statements, expressions, error checking, and debugging approaches)
- Functional understanding and practical application of web based programming languages.
- Other programming languages will be considered if relevant to public cloud deployments
- Understanding of Web technologies (Web servers, Hosting, DNS, load-balancing, PHP/server side scripting, CSS)
- Able to use an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) of their choice to create programs
- Awareness of code deployment mechanisms such as GIT, and demonstrate they have used these.
- Understanding of Computer Systems from an Industry standpoint
- Servers and Virtualisation
- Operating Systems (Windows Server, Unix, Linux)
- Storage Networks (NAS/SAN/iSCSI)
- Data Networks and Security Devices (Switching, Routing, Firewalls, IPS/IDS)
- Role Based Access Control (Users/Groups/Permissions/ACL’s)
- Awareness of one of the following:
- Microsoft Azure
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Cloud Platform
- Confident in at least one programming language, with a second as a bonus
- Have delivered their end of year 2 assignment / project using a programming approach and be prepared to explain this to the scheme management
- Understanding, or awareness of Micro-service Architectures.
What benefits will I receive?
- Starting salary of up to £17,000 (pro-rata)
- 23 days holiday per annum (pro-rata)
- Benefits package: Myperks (exclusive discounts up to 40% from some of the top UK retailers), pension, lifestyle and healthcare options
- Technical Mentor for the duration of the program
- Opportunity to put real world I.T. Business experience on your C.V. and to work with many instantly recognisable organisations
The industrial placement scheme is not designed to teach Computer Science students how to program. It is designed to enable candidates to apply the skills they have gained so far, in applying these to real world practical scenarios. They will be asked to participate in real customer scenarios helping consultants and architects deliver innovative solutions to problems.
Individuals will solely use public cloud providers to deliver these solutions, and do so programmatically. There will be no delivery of hardware solutions. This will all be achieved via public cloud architectures.