Materials and Analytical Science Programme
Materials science supports the life cycle of warhead components and technologies to ensure reliability of the UK's strategic deterrent. A nuclear warhead contains a vast range of materials including metals, ceramics, inorganic salts, rubbers, foams, adhesives, high explosives and radioactive substances. Many of these materials have unique handling issues and our dedicated facilities ensure a safe and secure environment to undertake research. Materials science is critical to understanding and predicting behaviour of these types of materials under various conditions.
We are looking to recruit graduates in to Materials Science with a degree in physics, chemistry, maths or similar and a particular interest, or specialism, in the areas of:
- Materials Science
- Materials Assessment
The AWE Fusion Graduate Programme offers structured learning ensuring you will experience everything you need to make the most of your personal and career development.
To enhance your capability to add value to AWE's demanding technical programme we offer our graduates the following opportunities whilst on a two year programme:
- On the job learning from some of the most senior experts in their area of specialism
- Off the job learning including a series of planned and scheduled opportunities to help develop your knowledge of AWE and your own skills and knowledge
- Involvement in a graduate project
- Placement opportunities across the business, where applicable
- Support to achieve professional registration, for example working towards chartered status
- Annual leave – 208 hours annual leave from day one (full-time equivalent).
- Pension scheme – We offer pension scheme options to suit your individual needs. A salary sacrifice scheme exists for pension contributions you make ensuring you maximise your take home pay.
- Personal and professional development – Developing our people is very important to us. It’s why you’ll be considered for a range of training and development opportunities as well as payment for relevant professional memberships.
- Flexible working arrangements – We believe that balancing your work and home life creates a more productive and beneficial environment. Depending on your role, a range of flexible working options may be considered.
- Discounts and concessions – You can benefit from employee discounts on a wide range of products and services as well as concession schemes with a number of companies.
- Supporting the environment – You can go green by joining our car share scheme.
In return, we look for graduates with personality and drive, who are proactive, innovative and hungry to work in a challenging environment.
- Competitive salary and twice yearly Graduate pay reward
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Welcome bonus of £2500 payable on your first pay day with AWE
- An option to take an interest free company loan of £1000 within the first 3 months
- 9-Day Fortnight where every other Friday is a non working day
- Structured and supported career progression
- A generous defined contribution pension that is flexible to suit you
- Life Assurance (4 times salary)
- Access to voluntary benefits and discounts to make your money go further
- Group income protection to protect your salary if you are unable to work through illness
- Work towards professional registration
Please note we recruit on a rolling basis and will be closing our schemes once we have the right number of suitable candidates and therefore encourage you to submit your application at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.