Northern plays a vital role in the North of England by connecting tens of thousands of people to work, leisure, education and more every day. We currently operate approximately 2500 train services daily, serving a population of nearly 15m and call at over 500 stations across the North.
There is an exciting new opportunity to join us as a Programme Scheduler. Reporting to the Programme Control Manager, you will work as part of a team of three responsible for the integrated development and planning of all investment and business change projects across the business. It’s a job where you can have a significant impact on the future of our business.
You will be required to:
- Develop and maintain the integrated programme plan and schedule
- Coach and assist Project Mangers with the development and maintenance of project schedules
- Identify and report on critical path projects, activities, interdependencies, risks and issues
- Provide scheduled reports for contract coordination and reporting
- Suggest management of risks affecting project benefits, costs, schedules and client relations
- Liaise with Project Managers and project staff to schedule work and coordinate assignments
- Co-ordinate with the project team and Task Managers to define scope of work and develop updated schedules, resource plans and identification of variances from original plan
- Evaluate project schedule progress and performance and identify developing problem areas
- Analyse critical path and constraints to determine the effect of changes on schedules, and recommended work-arounds
- Provide administration support as required.
As well as strong programme and project management skills, it would be useful to have knowledge of the rail sector. Excellent interpersonal skills are required as well as the ability to be flexible and work with the other members of the team to ensure the smooth running of the Programme Office.
You should also have:
- Experience of working in a project management office
- Good people skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- The ability to be flexible, resourceful and skilled in assisting project managers
- Excellent organisation and IT skills
- An outcome-focused approach
- The ability to prioritise and develop working plans
- A positive, persuasive and articulate personality
- MSP/PRINCE2 or other stage gate based programme/project management system (essential); applicants will be considered who are working towards this qualification.
Benefits and Rewards:
By working as part of the Northern team, you will receive:
- Free Travel on Northern services – for you and your family*
- 75% discount on all other Train Operating Companies’ leisure services*
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- A generous holiday entitlement
- Maternity and Paternity Benefits – above the statutory minimum
- A Childcare Voucher scheme*
- Full uniform for frontline facing roles
- High Street store discounts
- 20% off many tourist attractions in the UK
- Gym membership discounts
- Employee Assistance Programme – operating 24/7, giving a wide range of advice, support and useful information for employees.
And much more!
*Terms and conditions apply