Data Science Graduate Scheme
We are offering seven outstanding graduate Data Science opportunities for 2017; the roles will be based across our London and Home County offices in: Sutton (RBI head office in Surrey/Greater London c.20 minutes from central London), Holborn (in central London), London Heathrow (where our offices overlook the north runway of the airport), and East Grinstead.
At RBI Data Scientists use their advanced data skills to create a new generation of data analytics for our customers in industries such as energy, aviation, agriculture, and finance.
As an Associate Data Scientist you will generate new insights from proprietary and external sets of data by applying a range of definitions, calculations, and data manipulations to provide deeper insight into the data; you will develop mathematical and statistical models to find patterns and predictions; and you will work with various stakeholders around the business units on a broad range of complex initiatives, including data visualisations, fuzzy logic mapping, and various highly-customised data queries.
Successful applicants to the RBI Data Scientist graduate programme will spend two years learning and working in our various markets. During the course of the programme you will gain valuable experience through practical application in the following data science specialisms, actively using your learning to build data science capability within RBI businesses:
Getting and cleaning data:
Obtaining data from various sources (web, APIs, colleagues) in various formats, then cleaning and normalising.
Exploratory data analysis:
Performing initial summarisations on data sets, typically applied before formal model in order to inform how best to proceed in a more industrial way.
Drawing conclusions by identifying properties within a data set / sets through data analysis, then subsequently inferring additional values by exercising hypotheses.
Investigation of relationships between values, typically with the intention of establishing the causal effect of one variable on another.
Practical machine learning:
Application of predictive functions with an emphasis on practical applications.
Developing data products:
Automating complex analysis tasks through the use of technology to expand the utility of a data model, inference, or algorithm.
What makes us better than the rest?
There are all sorts of graduate roles out there but we are confident that few (if any) can match the combination of benefits that we offer; here are a few examples:
- Training: In addition to formal technical training we offer extensive training that equips you with the technical and soft skills to help accelerate your success as well as an on-going mentoring programme.
- Global Reach: Whichever discipline you choose to follow you will be working on an international scale. We want our graduates to understand not just their own function, but also how a global business operates and interacts.
- Work-life balance: It’s a well-known fact that commercial life can be stressful but we want you to enjoy yourself and to be happy and relaxed in your work. This doesn’t mean that you won’t be ‘stretched’ and encouraged, it simply means that we know that balance is important.
- Culture/Social: It’s not all about work, we also encourage a strong social side to working here right through from Graduate drinks and dinner get-togethers to our annual end-of-year extravaganza! We also run a variety of charity groups and encourage everybody to get involved – we even give you two extra ‘charity days’ each year on top of 29 days holiday!
- Structured career planning: Feedback tells us that a lot of graduate schemes start off promisingly but then peter out with grads left with little idea of what’s ahead or the training to allow them to progress. We have a dedicated two-year fast-track programme designed to facilitate fast learning and development with regular training and coaching sessions and frequent pay-reviews.
And what about your career?
Career development is a big thing for us and we take our PDP (personal development plan) process very seriously; we want you to learn and progress quickly in the direction you want to go and we will provide you with the training and support to achieve that at the right pace. The great thing about RBI career-wise is that we’re a company made up of leading online businesses so you can develop in three dimensions: vertically through the business, across different products/markets, and across different functions (if you fancy a change). We’re also a global business and are often able to offer overseas opportunities either as secondments or on a permanent basis.
RBI is a global business and we provide vital information, analytics and data solutions to our customers across globe. We have offices in London, Amsterdam, New York, Chicago, Paris, Shanghai, Dubai and Singapore – to name just a few.
We’re a technology business with a keen focus on innovation and product development, and we work closely with our customers to grow their businesses, so we’re looking for people who want to grow too. We never stand still.
We’re also part of RELX Group, a FTSE-100 company and a world-leading provider of information and analytics to a huge range of industries. And with over 28,000 employees in over 30 countries, and revenues approaching $10 billion, there’s a lot of opportunity for you to succeed.
Qualifications and experience requirements:
- First and foremost you should be a 2015-2017 graduate.
- You should have achieved or be expecting a 2:1 or better in mathematical sciences, physics, statistics, or economics related subject.
- You should have experience in data programming skills, such as R, SAS, SQL, MS Access, ECL, allied with experience in machine learning, data visualisation, and data manipulation tools.
- We’re looking for passion, customer focus, a naturally collaborative approach, and the desire to always be ahead of the competition.
- All roles are likely to involve some UK and occasionally overseas travel.
Accepted degree subjects: Mathematics / Statistics / Physics / Computer Sciences / Economics
Salary: £26,000 plus package: extensive training, 29 days holiday, two paid charity days, share options scheme, pension, life assurance
Location: London / Surrey / East Grinstead
All roles are likely to involve some UK and occasionally overseas travel.
Contract and working hours: Permanent / Full-time
Please send your CV to Charles Hide via the apply button.
Start Date: September 2017