UK Defence Academy - Swindon
Fixed Term Contract - 12 months
Full time, 37 hours, £17,600
The job opportunity:
To provide effective Administrative and Secretarial support to the Logistics Department, ensuring a high standard of administrative provision in support of Shrivenham Station and Serco departmental activities.
- To provide effective Administrative and Secretarial support to the Logistics Department.
- Word Processing, Filing, Photocopying, Scanning and transmission of faxes and emails.
- Production, amendment and maintenance of any assigned spreadsheets and databases.
- Recording, distribution and despatch of mail.
- Process Serco Uniform Clothing requests from Staff in conjunction with Purchasing Controller, receipt of new uniform on to account and update of individual clothing records once issued.
- Ensure that the monthly Serco Uniform Clothing Budget is not exceeded, without prior authorisation.
- Monthly Stock checks of Serco Uniform to be carried to confirm stock held against account.
- Active participation at meetings and production of minutes and action notes as required.
- Carry out reception duties, coordinating issue of keys, and responsibility for notifying departments of visitors and, if necessary, arranging escorts.
- Co-ordination and organisation of Visitor Bookings on behalf of the Department.
- Raising and monitoring of Facilities Management (FM Easy) requests for repairs and tasks within the department.
- Carry out other Logistic functions as directed by the Logistics Support Services Supervisor/Head of Logistics.
- To provide absence cover for other posts within the Logistics Department (Housing, Welfare Post Room and Main Reception) as and when required.
- Assist with the administration and maintenance of the Archive Store.
- Arrange/assist with office functions and events including planned and ad hoc meetings.
- Daily use of the electronic filing system for storage and internal distribution of correspondence.
- Reviewing and updating Work Instructions and Departmental Procedures on a regular basis.
- Ensure office is well maintained, tidy and professional looking.
- Take a pro-active role within the Department to liaise with your colleagues and customers and be fully conversant with your workload.
- Any other tasks as directed by the Logistics Support Services Supervisor or the Head of Logistics.
What we are looking for in our candidates:
- Good level of general education, with GCSE’s (A-C) or equivalent in English and
- Previous Administration and/or Secretarial experience.
- Knowledge/understanding of general office practices.
- Ability to demonstrate electronic calendar management.
- PC literate, with experience in MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate at all levels, using a variety of communication methods (spoken, written, behaviour).
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Ability to cope under pressure.
- Ability to proactively manage own workload.
- Proven organisational skills and problem solving skills.
- High level attention to detail/accuracy.
- Full Driving Licence.
- CRB/DBS Enhanced Clearance (Prior to Appointment)
- BPSS Clearance (Prior to Appointment)
- It is a condition of employment that all employees undertake any task, within any department or area, that they are directed to perform which is relevant to the company’s task at the Defence Academy (Watchfield), and is within the competence and ability of the employee.
- It is a contractual obligation for all staff to wear the Serco provided uniform at all times when on duty. Your uniform should be kept clean, neat and tidy.
- Adherence/implementation of all Serco Mandatory Policies as per the Serco Management system (SMS), Code of Conduct, Think Privacy and Security Operating Procedures (SyOps)
- This job specification may need to be changed in the light of contract experience.
If interested, please apply.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone. Take pride in what you do.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 (select option 1) as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.