The Graduate Development Programme, based in Yeovil, is designed to support your first steps after leaving university and to help you develop your career. Through a comprehensive two-year programme, you will have the chance to gain a complete understanding of the organisation and be involved in real challenges from day one. You will have the opportunity to learn from colleagues who are experts in their field, while always being encouraged to use your initiative.
Typically your placements will consist of 3-6 month rotations across the Engineering department including the opportunity to do an external placement elsewhere in the business. The graduate scheme is a fantastic way to gain practical experience in a wide spectrum of disciplines which a direct entry position cannot always offer. Additionally, you can begin to build a network of contacts, which will assist you in your future development.
Alongside the core placements, the graduate scheme supports your personal development, such as DISC profiling and personal branding workshops, all with the aim of making you into an all-round professional.
Upon successfully completing the scheme, the plan is to transition you into a full-time role within the company, with a vision to progress within Leonardo.
Please note that the nature of the graduate programme is very much a development role, therefore the responsibilities outlined below are not an exhaustive list and is very much subject to change.KEY JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES
Responsibilities may include:
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Perform defined engineering design and analysis tasks, required for project, process and departmental purposes using established methods.
- Develop and integrate engineering solutions from given broader design concepts and schemes. Gather and collate relevant technical and commercial information, as directed, to potentially aid/influence design and technical solutions.
- Perform defined simulation, modelling, testing and assessment activities to ensure that the engineering solution meets customer requirements.
- Assist with the creation of test plans and participate in sub system and system testing, using defined test procedures, to support the design, development and qualification process.
- Assist with the development of new technologies, methods, and procedures for business benefit.
- Produce standard engineering documents, reports and qualification statements within agreed formats for work undertaken.
- Investigate assigned customer and product issues to produce a recommendation for their resolution.
- Understand the contribution that your activities have on the improvement of overall aircraft capability.
- Perform engineering tests that comply with required processes and procedures, to produce valid engineering data to support the design and qualification process.
- Perform assessment activities to ensure that the engineering solution meets customer requirements.
- Identify and develop improvements to methods and procedures used in your activities.
- Support the interpretation of system and user requirements to develop the Air Vehicle Specification.
- Ensure that planned tasks are consistent with the methods by which specification compliance will be demonstrated.
- Represent the Engineering Directorate in cross- business discussions involving a product or aircraft sub-system.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge/experience of engineering
- Knowledge of helicopter design
- Knowledge of legislative requirements for rotorcraft
- Ability to work in cross-functional departments
- Organisation skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Industry experience beneficial but not essential
- Tenacity, fresh thinking and enthusiasm
- Analytical mind
- A strong team player
- Conscientious and keen to learn
- A keen interest in pursuing a career in engineering
- Must have been a permanent UK resident for a minimum of the past five years in order to meet security requirements
- Minimum 2:1 Bachelors or Masters
- The Leonardo Helicopter Graduate Development Programme is a two-year programme that allows graduates to complete a number of 3-6 month placements designed to provide practical experience within the organisation
- Alongside this, graduates complete a number of development activities at company and group level, which aim to ensure a smooth integration into the company whilst providing essential skills, knowledge and networking opportunities
- With over 230 trainees at Leonardo Helicopters, from apprentices to graduates, a thriving social network exists with regular organised social events to integrate newcomers
- Graduates will be based primarily within our Yeovil manufacturing HQ in Somerset; but potential opportunities for secondments and international travel exist
- Support for relocation is available
- Flexible working hours
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension scheme