At Gist, we pride ourselves in transforming supply chains, with a proven track record spanning 50 years. Our vision is to be our customers’ first choice for logistics, innovation, excellence and partnership. Our customers include Starbucks, EAT, Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Morrisons and 2 Sisters Food Group.
We are always focused on developing our people to enable them to reach their full potential and our Graduate schemes are designed to create our future business leaders. If you have the drive, aspiration and flexibility required, we can offer excellent development opportunities to ensure you build a successful and rewarding career with Gist, just like our CEO, Martin Gwynn, who began on our Logistics Management Graduate Scheme. He was promoted to CEO at the age of 33 and continues to set the direction of the business today.
What’s it like to be a Graduate at Gist?
Our Human Resources Graduate scheme is an 18-24 month programme offering graduates the chance to gain a strong start to their HR career by gaining valuable experience within a thriving, fast-paced business.
- The scheme consists of a number of placements over an 18-24 month period within our operational HR team. The scheme will provide you with exposure to key projects and activities across our people agenda in order to develop you into a HR Manager of the future in Gist.
- You will start your journey working alongside a HR Manager day to day at one of our depots, supporting them as they partner with their site. This will give you early exposure to the broad remit of a HR Manager and will mean you have a high level of responsibility from day one.
- As part of our HR team, you will be responsible for developing and driving the People Agenda. This will involve developing and delivering management training, supporting the Talent agenda, creating an engaging working environment for our people, coaching managers to lead their teams effectively. Our aim is to get you experience across a broad range of HR activities and accelerate your learning.
- Throughout the programme you will receive coaching and training from your HR Manager in order to build your knowledge, accompanied by centrally delivered Leadership development.
- You will have a buddy, based in the HR team, who will be able to help you with day to day questions and support you in your first few weeks with us. As well as this, you will be mentored by our HR Director throughout the programme, who herself came through the HR graduate scheme.
HR Graduate Quote
How will you become one of our future business leaders?
At Gist you will receive training and development in order to set you up for success. The programmes are designed to equip you with the knowledge, best practice, skills and techniques to develop your capabilities. This will be delivered in conjunction with your regular progress meetings to ensure you are working towards a career plan that meets your needs and aspirations.
- You will gain real responsibility from day one, rapid progression and industry leading training and coaching.
- All of our graduates receive structured on-site and central training in people management and best operational practice, as well as regular performance reviews to ensure you are receiving the right support and opportunities.
- With over one fifth of our senior management team coming from our graduate scheme, our schemes have been setting graduates up for success for a number of years.
What will you need to succeed?
We are looking for driven and engaging industrial placement students to join us.
- You aim to be a senior HR leader in our business and constantly look to develop yourself on that journey.
- You are flexible and can deal with ambiguity – in order to give you exposure to the most important work going on in our team you will need to be happy to relocate for the duration of the programme
- You will thrive in a fast paced and challenging business which will see you succeed when pushed out of your comfort zone.
- You are a credible, engaging and a driven individual.
- You proactively look to transform, adapt and improve things around you. You want to exceed expectations
- Change isn’t a scary word for you. You thrive on new challenges, new people and pick things up quickly and effectively.
- People are your focus and you roll your sleeves up when a team needs to come together.
What can Gist offer you?
- You will receive a starting salary of £26,500
- We will financially support you in achieving your CIPD qualification.
- We know that moving could be worrying and stressful– we give you time to find the right place and pay for up to two weeks in a hotel near your new site
- Whether it’s personal or professional, the Employee Assistance Helpline offers counselling, financial and legal advice as well as an online health portal
- The opportunity to take a four week charity placement
- 25 days holiday
- Discretionary performance-related bonus scheme
- Pension scheme
- Gist 4 Me—offering great discounts across retail and leisure outlets
How to apply
We are keen to ensure our selection process gives you a clear insight into our business, but most importantly offers you a good understanding of the Graduate scheme, what it is like to be a Gist Graduate and how to make the most of your 18 months scheme and beyond!
- Click the 'Apply' button and complete our online application form.
- If successful you will then complete a 20 minute video interview where we will get to know you, understand why you’re interested in Gist and hear about why you’d be a great fit for us.
- Following a successful video interview, you will be invited to our final stage assessment centre at Head Office. Throughout this day, you’ll show us why you could be a future HR leader in our business.
Please be aware that in order to be successful you need to be available the assessment centre, taking place on December 6th and able to start in September 2019.