UKAEA Graduate Scheme
Job Ref: 2986
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £25,046 + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 21st November 2018
To lead the commercial development of fusion power and related technology and position the UK as a leader in sustainable nuclear energy
This is a unique challenge, with global energy demand rising and concerns over climate change growing, nuclear fusion has the potential to provide a safe, carbon-free, virtually limitless energy source. UKAEA research programmes located at Culham Centre for Fusion Energy require a diverse range of people and disciplines to deliver this challenge.
As graduates it is essential that you find the right employer and job to provide the challenges and rewards that fit your qualifications and personality. The UKAEA Graduate scheme aims to provide a solid launchpad for your career by giving you the individual skills and experience needed to maximise your potential. This two-year programme will provide you with a permanent role and a future career path.
Control & Instrumentation Engineers
Chemical / Process Engineers
Physicists that are flexible to apply their knowledge practically into broader areas.
Business support including Finance and QSHE
UKAEA is committed to investing in its people and we strive to create a working environment where people are given challenging and interesting work. There are six enabling themes on which the organisation has based its culture: Passion, Innovation, Accountability, Business-Minded, Leadership and Delivery. We seek to create an environment where people receive regular constructive feedback and are presented with opportunities to learn and develop including working with international, multidisciplinary teams. UKAEA is a growing organisation which provides us with the opportunity to recruit employees with the attributes that we need to take us forward and ensure a successful future for the organisation.
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
Why choose UKAEA
Salary will be at the standard graduate entry level, currently starting at around £25k pa with a potential uplift of £2k pa whilst on the scheme. Additionally, we offer a generous leave allowance and access to a generous pension plan.
For further information on why UKAEA is a great place to work please review our recruitment video via the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77D3F3ILl98
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack found by clicking the apply button.
Knowledge skills and experience
- Degree completed within last year for September 2019
- Inventive, persistent and team spirited candidates with good communication and problem-solving skills, initiative, self-awareness and above all, the ability to establish and build good relationships.
- People who enjoy working under pressure, who strive for excellence and who can operate and work to high quality technical standards.
- You will have obtained at least 2A Levels (or equivalent) and a minimum 2.1 degree.
- All applications received are reviewed and a shortlisting is completed by a varied panel from different disciplines and backgrounds. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an Assessment Centre where applicants will have the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities and managers will be able to assess the graduates in different situations that includes:
- Individual presentation;
- Technical interview;
- Ability and aptitude tests;
- Case study;
- Group exercises.
UKAEA recognises that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role, please discuss with the hiring manager or HR if you have any concerns.