UK Defence Academy - Swindon
Full time, 37 hours, permanent
The job opportunity:
The Graphic Designer is part of a team that provides a full range of graphic design, artwork and map production services reacting flexibly to the diverse requirements of the Defence Academy and third party customers. Liaising closely with the Lead Graphic Designers and our internal and external production facilities he/she ensures any material produced adheres to all applicable brand identities and is of high quality whilst being cost-effective.
- Taking design briefs from Lead Graphic Designers and Graphics & Print Team Leader;
- Liaising with Lead Designer(s) on an ongoing and regular basis regarding jobs in hand;
- Liaising directly with customers to clearly identify the requirements of graphics requests;
- Liaison with internal production staff, external printers or other production facilities, to ensure designs are practical, and cost-effective and artwork is correctly formatted;
- Production of military mapping;
- Knowledge of and adherence to applicable brands (specifically DA and Serco);
- Design of logos, icons, pictograms, diagrams, flowcharts, illustrations, signage etc to a consistent style and quality;
- Design of printed material including brochures, periodicals, books, reports, folders, leaflets, menus, posters etc;
- Design of electronically-published material which could include interactive documents,
e-learning material, PowerPoint presentations;
- Design of web material which could include production of web pages or site design in conjunction with IT web developers;
- Use of specialist production equipment as necessary (but only where properly trained) and hand finishing of items by folding, trimming etc;
- Scanning documents to various formats;
- Prioritising workload to ensure deadlines are met;
- Following internal administrative procedures for workflow, costing off and filing of all work;
- Ensuring compliance with relevant H&S regulations;
- Flexibility to travel to other sites/contracts to work, attend meetings, take briefs etc;
What we are looking for in our candidates:
- Degree in a graphics or allied discipline or demonstrable skills shown by a high quality portfolio of work;
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud applications, particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and PowerPoint;
- PC literate;
- Passionate about providing excellent product quality and customer service;
- Accurate and tidy working processes with good practical skills;
- Enthusiastic and proactive;
- Ability to engage with customers at all levels;
- Reliable and well organised with ability to react to urgent work with a can-do attitude;
- Flexibility – willingness to work on to complete urgent work;
- Flexibility – willingness to work at either of our two on site office locations as necessary;
- Personal tidiness;
- It is a condition of employment that all employees undertake any task, within any department or area, that they are directed to perform which is relevant to the company’s task at the Defence Academy, and is within the competence and ability of the employee;
- This job specification may need to be changed in the light of contract experience;
- BPSS Clearance – prior to appointment.
- It is a contractual obligation for all staff to wear the Serco uniform provided at all times when on duty. Your uniform should be kept clean, neat and tidy.
- Adhere to the Health and Safety Act (1974) within the areas of his/her responsibility.
- A name badge and security pass form part of the uniform and these should be worn at all times except where either may cause a H&S issue during operation of equipment.
- There may be a requirement to use MOD-provided vehicles on behalf of the MOD’s business either as a driver or passenger.
If interested, please apply.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.