GAMA Healthcare is a global company with over 150 staff with offices based in the United Kingdom, Australia and China. We are market leaders in various infection prevention and control solutions, our range of Clinell products combine innovative technology with ease of use, providing the professional healthcare industry with the most effective options available. Our mission is to reduce worldwide infections by offering the best innovative solutions together with market leading after sales support.
Founded in 2004 by two medical doctors, GAMA Healthcare has become a world leading developer and manufacturer of infection prevention technology. The Clinell brand is well known to the NHS, providing a range of product lines for surface care, hygiene monitoring, and patient skincare.
In April 2018 GAMA Healthcare received the Queens Award for Enterprise in International Trade and were also recognised by The Sunday Times for the HSBC International Track 200 Award. In less than 10 years, revenues now account for a turnover in excess of £30 million and double-digit growth is forecasted over the next 5 years.
Spread over two floors, the facility comprises of an open plan office environment, along with cutting edge research laboratories and auxiliary space for the production of test product samples. The main areas of focus for the laboratory is hospital infection control and wound care, and the site is eventually expected to host up to 30 members of staff, with the option of a further extension.
GAMA Healthcare seeks an experienced, Material Science Technician. As we are currently expanding our laboratories and capabilities, Gama Healthcare wishes to expand its material science expertise on two fronts:
- In developing new products
- In studying the interaction of its formulated products against a range of materials with which they may potentially meet.
The successful candidate would assist us in following standard procedure test methods for testing materials such as nonwovens plastics, metals and composites e.g. INDA/EDANA Nonwoven standard procedures and EN Standards and ASTM test methods.
- Ideally 2-4 years industry experience in a laboratory environment.
- Bachelor Degree with 2 years’ experience / HNC with 4 years’ experience in Materials Science or related subject.
- Working with physical and mechanical testing equipment
- Experience of creating procedures.
- Relevant industry experience, working in the biotech / medical device sector.
- Experience of working in a material testing laboratory.
- Evidence of professional memberships/ accreditations e.g.The Institute of Materials Minerals and mining, The Institute of Packaging.
Who we are looking for
- Ability to plan and prioritise workload to ensure business requirements are met in a timely fashion.
- Capable to write clear, concise reports.
- Strong Computer skills to maintain, store and process computerised data, spreadsheets etc in the most efficient and easily understood manner.
- High Level of accuracy to ensure all records are correct and complete.
- Ability to work in a compliant manner
- Work in compliance with ISO accreditations, namely ISO 17025.
- Ensure compliance with Health & Safety rules and procedures.
- Ensure housekeeping is of sufficient high standards in compliance with safety requirements (External audit standard).
- Ability to work with different Time zones.
- Able to work alone and use initiative.
- Possess exceptional communication skills.
- IT literate, including strong data management skills.
- Extensive knowledge within ISO 17025
- Practical understanding of laboratory working environment and processes
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills.
- Someone who can work within a fast-paced laboratory.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work to predefined programmes, plan and carry them out.
- Pleasant and approachable manner.
- Good organisational skills and good time management.
- Strong team player.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake Mechanical testing of materials
- Undertake Chemical compatibility testing of materials
- Follow standard procedure test methods for testing materials such as nonwovens plastics, metals and composites e.g. INDA/EDANA Nonwoven standard procedures and EN Standards and ASTM test methods.
- Develop suitable materials testing methodologies as necessary to evaluate the effects of various conditions on materials.
- Draft testing protocols and procedures
- Maintain diligent records of work undertaken.
- Write detailed reports on testing that has been undertaken.
- Prototype fabrication of potential new products.
- Maintain databases on (a) Materials (b) Suppliers of materials (b) Test methodologies.
- Source required consumables for materials testing.
- Regular interaction with Internal and external stakeholders both locally and internationally.